Monday, September 13, 2010

Highly visible...


Spendy and classically trendy bike wear company Rapha, unleashed last week some of their new products for the fall... one of these items that caught my eye were their jeans. While normally the words "denim and bikes" don't go too hand and hand aside from a mention of hipsters on fixies and their skinny jeans, Rapha has taken into account the demands and the wear and the tear that bikes have on clothing. What struck me about the jeans was the plethora of good ideas they incorporated into them. As someone who commutes and goes to work in jeans (and has blown out the seating area of a few favorite pairs of pants) it's the little details that can seemingly can make quite a bit of difference. Especially when it comes to being seen and not seen by the heavier faster bigger machines out there on the road. Lets discuss...

Jeans Material:
While everyone loves wearing jeans, not too many people like wearing their jeans wet. And frankly, the idea of my inner thighs rubbing back and forth on a bike seat in wet denim gives me chafing thoughts just thinking about it. So much in fact, that anytime the forecast out the morning window looks to be rainy, I'll don my spandex (I don't think it's normally necessary for me to wear spandex on my nine minute commute to work)... just to avoid sitting at my desk in wet jeans all day. Rahpa has taken this issue in hand by making their jeans out of a durable, nylon-denim blend yarn (aka: non-cotton), which is water-repellant, stain-resistant and fast drying. As well, to avoid those blown-out seats, apparently the material is highly resistant to abrasion and won't deteriorate at key wear points (aka: my ass). Also, the yarn has a far amount of "stretch" which allows for ease of movement, something my meaty thighs appreciate.


Jeans Fit:
Also, another problem I have while cycling in most jeans is my butt crack showing. Granted, I personally don't have too big of a problem with it, but I imagine the families on their extracycles I pass may. (However, I have had some dudes... while gasping for air as they finally catch up to me at a light, tell me they liked my thong.) Anyways, Rapha has considered this unfortunate crack exposure and has designed their jeans with a cycling fit in mind; namely, the jeans have a high backed waist which is cut low in front. They have also been tailored to accommodate pedaling action and have off-set seams and belt loops to prevent chafing. I've personally never had "belt loop chafing", but it doesn't sound pleasant.

Details:
While I'm not one of those people who can safely lock their bike up with a tiny u-lock and carry it in their back pocket, Rapha has created a reinforced right rear pocket to hold a compact lock. As well, the front pockets are cut deep to keep your valuables safe from falling out (I don't know how many family heirlooms that I keep in my pockets I've lost this way).

The main detail that I love is the reflective Rapha logo imprinted on the inside of the right pants leg. When your pants are rolled up to avoid getting caught in the chain, the logo is visible. Not only are you suddenly more noticeable from on coming cars, but you can tell the whole world that you spent a lot on your jeans.


All kidding aside, I love this idea. I had first noticed this as a detail in jeans last year from San Francisco based company Cordaround, who not only added this bit of flair to the inside of their pants, but also added reflective piping on the seams of their rear inner pockets. Meaning, that one could can turn their pockets inside out and create another barrier of visibility. I myself, did my own DIY take on this by purchasing reflective ribbon and stickers from bike and fabric stores and placing it on the inside of the pants I already owned and commonly bike in. For the purpose of the experiment, it worked okay, but sometimes the material uncomfortable brushed against my calves during the day and irritated my skin. It'd be great if someone could invent an iron-on reflective solution so everyone could be a little safer on their bike using materials and clothing they use everyday.

So, kudos Rapha once again for having some well thought out products. I'll be anxiously waiting for you to make them in a women's cut and also, well... having a pay increase that would allow me to purchase a pair.


oh ps: read my post from last year re: biking attire tips for the daily commuter.
and pss: Rapha also is increasing their women's line for the winter... yeeeah!

of note: Swrve also makes some pretty sweet biking jeans and the folks at Outlier have some nice pants. Also, the folks at Pedaler have some nice details on their everyday items also intended for cycling as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment