Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Thoughts for a January evening.... (repost)

Every once and a while I rediscover that I still have a myspace account. I ask myself why I haven't deleted it yet, since I never check it or update it, but then I realize that I pretty much only hold on to it because it has volumes of blogs I wrote that I just don't want to part ways with yet. So, in order to not totally lose all those older writings, I'll occasionally repost some of them here. This is one of them.


Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Thoughts for a January evening....

A few weeks ago at my friends New Years Eve Party, I was looking through some postcards she had on a display rack and I came across a hand drawn little booklet about "her travels in New York City". I was so intrigued about this little piece of adorable art, that in the midst of her talking to someone, I had to interrupt her and find out more information about it.


As soon as she saw it in my hand, she stopped talking, her mouth turned into a big smile and she got red, blushing. "Oh, you found that!?" she said and I quickly responded, "I must know... what is this?... it is absolutely amazing!" And she replied, "oh...my ex made that for me before I moved from New York City, it's all these great little drawings about my experience there, I love it, it's like my favorite thing ever!"


Her current girlfriend saw me with the booklet and kinda rolled her eyes at it, but - I unhesitatingly, went back to the drawings. "These are so cute"...I kept gushing while my host fingered though the carefully hand drawn sketches, pointing out her favorites, eyes glowing with excitement.


Then, I looked my friend in the face and I shared my thoughts, at why this little book, with these silly little cute drawings in them, had captivated me so much. I said... "I can only hope that if I ever were to give someone that I care about a piece of art, even if it be a little sketch to let them know I'm thinking about them, I can only hope that even if that moment in time has far passed and those feelings are no longer as fresh as the day they were when ink or paint was first set to paper... that when they look at it, so many years later, that it can still bring a smile to their face. And if it's anything like the smile that comes to your face over this little book, it'll will have been so, so worth it."


Read more:

No comments:

Post a Comment