Wednesday, October 28, 2009

confession #3

Anyone who knows me really well... knows that I have a small crush on Scandinavia. Not only do I love Norway, Denmark and Sweden (Finland too!), but I love their cities, their people, their design sensibility, their food, their drinks, their shoes, their toys, their textiles, how their flags all look alike, their bikes, their health care and education plans - I mean, I really could go on and on and on. Maybe I'm just gushing about the Oregon Manifest Lecture tomorrow night when some Danish dudes are coming into to discuss how Portland can market cycling to the average citizen, maybe I'm looking forward to attending a wedding in Sweden next summer, maybe it's just with this colder weather we've been having I've moved from flip flops to my favorite danish shoes, maybe its year in and year out they top all the lists for being some of the happiest people with the best quality of living... regardless, this blog.... Scandinavia, is for you.

My favorite shoes, a pair of Danish Duck Boots I picked up in Copenhagen back in 2001. They've since been resoled once, but they are my go to shoes for the colder months. It's funny because a friend of mine from college told me upon my first visit to Denmark, "when you go there... I tell you two things... everything looks perfect like legos and they make they best shoes. Buy shoes there." And so, I did.


Havarti cheese is great by itself or in a sandwich. Rainy day? Have this with some good bread and a few slices of tomatoes and I swear it's the best grilled cheese sandwich you've ever eaten. Where's my cheese plainer?

I love pickled herring in mustard sauce. In fact, whenever I go to IKEA, I mainly go to pick up some of this and some more meatballs. True story.


Can you think of a cuter royal couple, I can't. These Norwegian Royals take the cake:


Nothing is more sleek and sexy than modern style Scandinavian furniture. From bottom barrel Ikea to top of the line I would gladly sell my first born child to own that, I love the clean lines, the attention to form and function and how it's probably one of the most uncomfortable chairs you've ever sat in. Doesn't matter.... it screams sexy!


Carlsberg and Tuborg beer? YUM!

And, I need a whole other blog to describe my brother and I's fascination with Legos growing up and even to this day. If I could count the amount of time we spent playing with these well designed building blocks... I would be counting years, not months or days. In fact, a little dream of mine came to fruition when I visited Billund, Denmark... the home of Legos. In all honesty, I think one reason my brother and I picked the careers we did, adds up to the creativity legos garnished us with. Also, my Spanish friend was right... every little community in Denmark seemed as if it was made of Legos. It was magical. really, it was.

Swedish soccer and swedish soccer fans:

When it comes to textiles, I love Marimekko designs:


They were fucking vikings!!! RWAAAAR!

Their love for cycling as transportation. Good luck finding your bike here:

When it comes to flag design, you might as well keep it simple.

Did I mention their food yet?

Bodum makes some of the best designed french presses and table ware you're ever going to come across, affordable too!

Danish money has holes in it:

I love my vintage Norwegian ski guide parka I just replaced a few weeks ago:

Oprah loves them!!!! In fact, I don't really watch Oprah... but I did notice that she went to Copenhagen Denmark this month to film some segments for her show. In this little video, she tours a cute little stylish apartment that simply and cleanly holds a family of five. Wow! And here, is just a little run down on her visit which explains a few key facts on why Denmark differs so from the US when it comes to happiness.

As well, even though those Northern European climates get ample amounts of daylight in the summer, they also get ample amounts of darkness in the winter - which I think is why they are more creative in nature. Which is also why brightly painted homes and barns help!

They gave us the Little Mermaid, Pippi Longstocking, trolls, and Isben.

The Lillehammer Olympics in 1994 were the best winter olympics ever. Need I remind you?

Lastly... they gave us Abba. (click on link for an amazing video)



No comments:

Post a Comment