Wednesday, May 6, 2009

shopping with jenn

Photobucket


So, last night I went to the big REI sale and used my 20% Members coupon for a really good map of Oregon. When it comes to maps in the great state of Oregon, I've got a detailed Portland city map to tell me what street I'm on, I've got detailed trail maps to tell me which side of the mountain I'm on, and I've got a US Atlas to tell me how many miles I've got to go till I get to California. However, for the life of me, I cannot find my way out of Forest Grove to save my life. So, I bought a detailed Oregon Gazetteer and I'm bound and determined to know every logging road in this state gosh darn it! Also purchased at the REI sale was a cycling computer for my bike (so that I can finally tell you how fast and far I'm going and begin to OCD about it), a small pack towel for my next backwoods venture, and some freeze dried food. Until I climbed Mt. Shasta last year, I'd never used the freeze dried food... but I quickly discovered that when you're on a mountain, you're cold, tired and the best thing you can think of is a 1000 calorie warm meal to stick in your belly, it really is a great thing. Plus, you don't have to worry about packing tons of ingredients or pots and pans. As well, because it's freeze dried, when they're on sale it's smart to buy a bunch and just keep them on hand for when you need them. I wouldn't go this way if I was hiking the AT for four months as they're pretty spendy... but when you're short on time and packing room, freeze dried is a smart way to go.  


Also last evening I met my friend Liz for Mazama Night at the Icebreaker Touch Lab in the Pearl. While I'm not a Mazama, I not so secretly long to be, but I wouldn't feel right doing it till I cap a glaciated peak (Mt. Adams is my Memorial Day plans). One of the perks of being a Mazama, is they get special discounts and deals on things, for instance, last night they closed down the Icebreaker store for a few hours so that only members could shop. They had beer, wine, and cheese and crackers on hand and best of all... if you purchased any base layer that evening, it was 40% off. So my friend Liz, who is a Mazama, had no problem with meeting me downtown for a little shopping. Friends with benefits are good to have. 


I had first heard of Icebreaker back in 2002 when I was traveling in New Zealand. I picked up one of their brochures and read through it, impressed by not only their wool based products, but also the detail and care they showed for their practices of producing and making their products from start to finish. Back in the day of outdoors wear, wool and cotton were pretty much your only choices. Wool was bulky, smelly, itchy and couldn't be washed. However, somewhere along the way when plastic, nylon and polyester got more popular, people shunned the dank wool for lighter, brighter, less itchy, and more modern fabrics. In due time though, we've discovered that these polyester fabrics are not all they were promised to be. Sure, they're moisture wicking, lightweight, wash well and wear well over time.. but at the same time, the more you use them, the more they smell, and also, they leave you with a not so fresh "clammy" feeling. As well, the fibers are petroleum based which mean that they further our dependance on non-renewable resources. Additionally, the process that the fabrics have to go through to add to their "performance", use way more energy than is really worth it. Plus, aside from Patagonia, who devised a system of reusing and recycling their old "capaline" product, known as Common Threads Recycling Program... the polypro synthetic fibers never really break down. 


That's where new wool comes in, especially super fine grade mernio wool. Recently, companies like Icebreaker, SmartwoolIbex and Point 6 are making ground for themselves as performance clothing companies that use only fine grade mernio wool. Mernio wool is 100% natural, it's finer, softer, more insulating and more breathable than regular wool. Most of the time, the bulkier high micron fibers are weeded out of the shearing, which processes the "itch" out. 


Wool has the natural ability to cool when it's hot and warm when it's cool, it regulates just like a sheep's coat regulates in nature. Plus, wool moves moisture faster than any other material on the planet. Synthetics have to wait for moisture to condense into a liquid before wicking it away from your skin, wool garments absorb and transfer moisture in its vapor state, before it condenses. When it’s hot, this creates a mini air-conditioning unit next to your skin, transferring body heat through your apparel. When it’s cold, this keeps bone-chilling moisture at bay. This means, you stay drier longer. As well, the only thing synthetic fibers can do is wick and move moisture from one side to another. This is especially noticeable in socks where moisture moves from your feet to the lining of your shoe which just leaves you with wet shoes, wet synthetic socks, and wet uncomfortable feet. The difference is that Minero wool has a hollow core fiber with microscopic air pockets that wick, absorb and evaporate moisture in a vapor state as well as insulate against the heat and cold. As well, when you layer with wool, each layer retains it's own properties, but also combines with the layer above and below it for a more comprehensive and effective layering system than is possible layering with various synthetics. The individual fibers do the job as well as the fabric as a whole. 


This is one reason why when looking for a good baselayer to wear under my cycling jersey in hot and cold, I went with the slim fitting Icebreaker Atlas Tank. Testing the shirt out during my first three day four event cycling stage race in The Dalles, OR. I put that tank through everything from time trialing in 37 degree temps, road racing in 40 mph winds, and then burning hot corners in a crit, and never once did I feel itchy, too hot, too cold or too wet. Better yet, I never once washed the shirt and even after my last race... it didn't smell. I walked (or rode) away a firm believer in the products ability to be a performance baselayer. 


So, last night at Icebreaker, I jumped at the opportunity to add to my wool armory and walked away with a nice long sleeve quarter zip shirt. I look forward to using this item to replace an old Nike polypro layer of mine that's been kicking around for a few years in my drawer. My aim in shopping these days, is to make smarter purchases... not just more purchases. Which, hopefully down the line means I'll be able to make less purchases and get more bang for my buck. As well, hopefully the purchases I make will be more sustainable and not end up taking space in a box under my bed or a landfill somewhere. Speaking of which... I've got some synthetic base layers that may need new homes soon. And, if you live out in Forest Grove and want them, I've got a map now. I can find my way there.

No comments:

Post a Comment