Thursday, May 7, 2009

it's in my bones


So, recently my brother joined facebook and so last week, I spent some time pouring through the old albums I've posted on facebook, tagging him in every slightly embarrassing photo I came across. Many of the photos I really enjoy were shot during our family vacations. Every summer, for two weeks it seemed, the Levo family would pack up their station wagon or conversion van... and head out on the road to new uncharted territories. Many of these were enroute of my dad's Ham Radio Conventions and then some were the pursuit of my dad contacting someone in every county in every state in the USA via his Ham Radio. Which, is a pretty good reason why I can proudly say that I've visited 48 out of 50 states in this great country. Had I been a little older at the time, I'm sure I would remember our vacations to be just like the Griswalds trek out west to Wally World, but at this stage of my youth... it was more about finding creative ways to entertain ourselves in the car.

My brother and I passed the time by drawing, telling stories, and listening to music. These years, we hadn't quite developed our own taste of music yet either, so we were at the whims of whatever our parents seemed to be listening to. I always found that most of my friends parents introduced them at an early age to the Beatles, Billie Joel, Pink Floyd, Steve Miller Band, etc, which then influenced the type of music they currently listen to and enjoy. As well, when I look back on my childhood, I can easily say the same things, but for me... the artists that come to mind are the Beach Boys, Neil Diamond, The Righteous Brothers, Dolly Parton, Dionne Warwick, Diana Ross, Juice Newton, Johnny Cash, Kenny Rogers, Fleetwood Mac, Bee Gees, Abba, etc. These are the cassette tapes that my parents had in our car that we would listen to over and over and over again. (I mean, there is a lot of time between Hillsboro, Ohio and Denver, Colorado.) Also, add in the fact that my dad also moonlighted as a radio DJ at our local radio station, WSRW, and when I visited my grandparents over in the neighboring town of New Vienna at their shop, Red Dot Trophies, the radio was always on. Overall, I'd say I listened to a lot of music. However, I'd never really taken the time to think about how those early years influenced me till I've begun the search in my later years, to personally find the music that makes me happy. Time and time again, I go back to my roots of what I would consider "semi country folky alternative pop". Granted, it's nothing you're gonna hear on the radio anytime soon... but if you know the demographic and the style, you know what I mean.

Anyways, just like looking at old photos of my brother and I, I thought I'd take you down a little bit of jenn levo memory lane of the songs that made up my childhood. 

Kenny and Dolly - Islands in the Stream
(This song was my first record that I ever owned. I think I got this and the 
Muppets Take Manhattan* Soundtrack at the same time. Anyways, hands down, this is one of my favorite songs ever and it started an everlasting love between me and miss Dolly and men who look like Kenny Rogers. In fact, every saturday growing up when we'd go to the roller skating rink (it was the 80's) I'd request this song. Love Love Love.


Juice Newton - Queen of Hearts
We had Juice Newton's Greatest Hits on cassette and I think my brother and I burnt it up we played it so much.

Another album that probably melted from being overplayed in our household was also Dionne Warwick's Greatest Hits. This is why, this scene was my favorite part of the movie, My Best Friends Wedding.


The Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice
My first band loves! In fact, the Beach Boys were the first concert I ever went to back at the Ohio State Fair. It was probably the first time I smelt pot, but I probably couldn't tell you what it was other than... what's that funny smell mom? But hands down, no one had better harmonies than the Beach Boys.

Neil Diamond- Sweet Caroline
To me, my mom will always be an amazing person... but three things about her will always stand out to me A) her love for Penn State and Joe Paterno, and B) her belief that Roberto Clemente was the best baseball player ever, and C) her love for Neil Diamond. 



Fleetwood Mac - Dreams
This song reminds me of going to my dad's radio station and waiting for his shift to be over to pick him up. We'd run down the hallway to his studio and look in the window, waiting for the "on air" light to come on and watch him talk and listen to him over the radio at the same time. It always amazed me
.


Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes
If you asked me what the first song I remember hearing over and over and being conscious of, I would... without a doubt, tell you it was this song.


Billie Joel - Uptown Girl
And, I can't embed this, but this is the first video I actually remember watching. This was actually one of the first gifts I can vividly recall deciding to purchase for my mom, who loved this song. Growing up, I always imagined 
my mom as being the Christie Brinkley in this video and my dad as the really lucky guy who got her. 

* = Muppets Take Manhattan.
This movie is probably one of the first places I started an interest in 
advertisingJim Henson and his creations were such an important part of my youth that I was greatly saddened when he died suddenly in 1990. I could write about ten billion blogs about Fraggle Rock, the Muppet Show, Sesame Street, Emmett Otter and his Jug Band, The Bunny Picnic, etc... but alas... that's another day.

(originally posted April 1, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment