Thursday, December 10, 2009

bike racing in the next decade



As we come to a close on 2009, I've taken some time over the past few weeks to reflect on the year and see how I rated on my goals. While I still have almost 20 days of the month of December left to go... this by no means is a year in review posting, it's just one little kernel of my year... and a general ponderance of how to improve upon it for next year. And yes... it's all about bike racing.

So, if anyone recalls my to-do list for 2009, you may remember that going into bike racing, and trying to do decently at it, was #9 on my list. This year I was brand new to the sport and pretty much clueless when it came to a lot of things. First of all, I had no idea what type of racer I was. This, took some trials and errors of on the pathways to discovery. The first one was the Banana Belt #3 (which was actually the second race of the series), it was 40 degrees on that horrendous March day with pouring rain. Despite the nasty conditions, I entered the race full of positive energy and cheer; however, within two minutes off the start I had a flat tire and a replacement wheel with the wrong cassette. Needless to say, the next two hours of riding were cold, wet, and alone. In short, not the best experience of my life (read the write up here).

A little while later came my second big race of the year (when you're new.... they're all big races) and that was the Cherry Blossom Classic Stage Race. While the road races in this event were a two hour or so experiment in how long I can hold on before I get dropped, the saving grace of these stage races is what came in between the road races. Much like the cream filling in a oreo cookie, I found that the criterium race (held in between the chocolaty cookie crust of two 40 some odd mile road races) was the one part of the Stage Race that I enjoyed. Not only was it flat, short, dangerous, and (unlike the other events where I got passed) here, I was actually doing the passing. Instead of placing 20th or 21st out of 27 Cat 4 riders, I actually placed like 12th while many of the riders who had prior placed ahead of me got cut from the course. In my books, thats not bad for the first crit ever. And also, armed with the knowledge that I had actually found a bike racing discipline I enjoyed and a discovery what type of racer I was, I shrugged off doing any more highly disappointing road races (or the way I look at it, paying someone $20 for a two hour scenic ride) and vowed to show up at PIR and any Crit I could get my hands on over the summer.

That being said, that's what I did and I ended up doing pretty well.

Since I had discovered that I liked Crits the most, it was my goal to do the best in them that I possibly could. Meaning, I was aiming for top 3 in the CAT 4s. I may not win a podium spot... but just like the racers who compete for the green jersey in the Tour De France, it's about consistent results that matters in the end. So, by the end of the season... never placing worse than 8th in any of the races that I competed in, I technically finished tied for 2nd in the standings (however I'm listed at 3rd, but 2nd place and I have the same point spread). My over all best was a first place sweep of Cat 4 races at the Midsummer Crit Series and my best large pack finish was 4th at the Swan Island Crit.

The other important discovery that I found this summer was racing track bikes at the Velodrome. I didn't start going out there till late in the summer and racing with the beginner women, and holy jeeze, why'd I wait so long? In the few times that I raced, I was never beat and I found myself at the end of the season 9th overall in the Cat4 standings. Had I gone out there every week like Amy Sheppard (who I beat when I raced her) I am sure my rankings could have been much higher. So, needless to say, this is something I am defiantly going to be focusing on for 2010.

The other place I put in a lot of bike racing time was at PIR (Portland International Raceway). From June through August, I spent almost every Monday night there doing laps around the raceway trying to chase down attack after attack from Lisa Reeves ;). The thing I like and don't like about racing at PIR is that they herd all of us women together in one big open category (aside from the beginners that is). While it sometimes sucks to know you're going against Cat 2/3 women's riders, it's also cool to know that you're going against Cat 2/3 women's riders. Yeah, you may get dropped from time to time (and, when you can hang with them... it's well worth it), regardless... racing with them is a great exercise in being a better biker. Anyways, it was my goal to do well out there and even though participation numbers slacked off during the heatwave of July, over all I ended up placing in the top 3 of senior women at PIR (OBRA never did an official overall results, but because I get to be a little competitive, I did.) When you add that in to all the other open women's races road races that were held over the year... that put me at 23rd overall out of all the women who raced. And, if you look at the names on the list... those are some big names I'm very happy to be placing in the Top 25 with.

And, while we're discussing CAT's, this year they held a competition for the best overall Cat 4 riders. I think that overall the field of Cat4 women was very very strong this year. When I look back at some of the first races of the year, I'm finding names of women who quickly moved up a CAT and then starting winning there too. So, as a result, the final placings for the CAT 4 Series is a little wonky, but I'm happy with how I settled in at 13th.

And, the Cat 4 Women's Series Aside, I was decently happy with my 21st Overall CAT 4 women's placing.

I was thinking that by the close of the road racing year that I could Cat-up to Cat 3, but apparently all of my races at PIR in Open Women's Category that I did - don't count (which is a good excuse to try out short track MTB next summer). According to my OBRA results, I lined up to race appx: 27 times over the past year. However, according to OBRA rules (I suppose, it's still kinda unclear to me)... you need to line-up 25 times with people solely in your own Cat for the race to be considered for upgrade points. However at the same time it says that you need 20 points in 12 months. So, regardless of what listing you look at for me on the OBRA site, I fully full-filled (say that five times fast) the point requirement. Nonetheless, I am not allowed to upgrade? OBRA says I still need two more CAT 4 Mass Starts. Hmm... while this baffles me a fair amount, I'll take it as an opportunity to relax in knowing that I don't have to race with the CAT 3 Women during the upcoming road race season (compare racing for 40 some miles as opposed to racing 70 some miles).

My 2010 Racing Plan:
So here you have it... my top secret race plan going into 2010.
Basically, my plan is to do minimal amounts of road races this spring. Why is that? Well, if it's not fun... why do it? Hell, if it's not fun why pay to do it? Also, spring season is also the time when some of the best powder falls in the mountains. Pretty much, I'll put my time in on the slopes and then get a horrendous Banana Belt under my belt. With luck, all of my top placing fellow Cat 4 racers would have been granted upgrades and (god willing I'll have no flats), I can place better than last year and feel better about myself (ie: not break down crying in the car). A month later, I'll make my way to The Dalles and enter the Cherry Blossom Stage Race. Having only done one other race prior, according to OBRA, I would just then be meeting my up-grade requirement, but I'll still be able to race as Cat 4 (40 miles vs 70 miles, you choose). Then... by that point I'll be feeling the need for speed and I can go full force into PIR and Crit season (as a Cat 3) and also putting in a fair amount of time at the Velodrome.

I'd also like to try to perhaps enter a short-track MTB race and get a feeling for cross as well, but all those things are minor in comparison to my focus in the sprint events. So, right now I'm reading up on training programs and doing research. I'm not the kind of girl to go out and put hours and hours in on the bike. I know a lot of people will argue that the only way you can get better on the bike is to be on the bike... but I am a firm believer in cross training. As well, with all the other sports that I participate in, I don't have time for four hour bike rides after work. Which means, I've got to make every athletic event; be it running, soccer, snowboarding, or climbing, spinning, softball, crossfit and gym workouts, fit into my bike racing training regime. I've got a killer weight program put together for me by the kind folks at CrossFit Hillsboro that I'm eagerly anticipating getting started on in the next few weeks. The way I see it, putting tons of time on the bike might be good for endurance, but so is playing a 90 minute soccer match with tons of sprinting. I plan on not only working the endurance via one way or another, but adding in lots of explosive strength and power drills off the bike which I believe can help make me be a better sprinter.

So, when it comes to bike racing in 2010, maintenance and improvement are my goals.
-Upgrade
-Be a better sprinter: more explosive, more power for longer
-Finish strong and finish well
-Also, to be happy, to be healthy and don't do it if it's not fun

No comments:

Post a Comment