Monday, October 11, 2010

I hate rainbows

Here's the thing, I'm gay.... or at least that's what society tells me should identify with. Or better yet, if I want - I can pick from a whole other alphabet of GLBT friendly letters. But the truth of the matter is, I don't identify with "the gay" other than the fact that the person I love happens to be the same sex as I am and well, a majority of my friends happen to fit that bill as well. Basically... I don't identify with being gay more than I identify as a person who has a pinky toe or pays taxes. It's just one layer and one aspect of the awesomeness that is jennlevo. I am a lot of things. I am an artist, an athlete, an outdoors woman, a dog owner, a sister, a daughter, a friend, etc. Not one thing is bigger than the sum of it's parts.

Growing up, I never really felt ashamed of who I was or unloved. I never felt overly bullied or harassed. I never considered myself closeted or out about my sexuality. I never once considered ending my life because society didn't understand or accept me. It just is what it is.

I understand the plight that people go through and the drama surrounding "the ordeal" and I believe, that yeah... things do get better, but I think half of that is due to just getting out of high school and or early college. In fact, I think polls will find that the majority of people out there hate high school, gay or straight or member of the mathletes or jazz band; high school and school in general is a bitch. There are some people who choose to stay in an everlasting highschool and surround themselves with those people and those tiny mindsets for the rest of their life... and for everyone else who doesn't fit that bill.... I will say that it does gets better. Once you go out and make your life the life you want it to be, regardless of some preconceived norm of how you should live, it gets better.

So basically, it doesn't matter who you love, it doesn't matter who you spend your time googling, it doesn't matter how you identify or how you hide... just go out there and live the life you want to.

Thats my message to everyone on this National Coming Out Day.

Oh and ps.... I hate rainbows and most "pride themed events" scare me.

No comments:

Post a Comment