Friday, January 8, 2010

This is for the shut-ins

So, it's no surprise to many of my friends that if I go to a concert, more often than not I'm going to bring my camera with me. And, no... it's not just so that I can relive every single moment of the show and over and over again in the enjoyment of my own house, but... it's pretty much to be able to share the excellent music that I listen to live with folks all over the place. See... once I lived in a tiny coastal town that didn't get many concerts coming through. And, before that I lived in an even smaller midwestern town where the closest thing there was to live music was the neighbor kids to had band practice in their garage. So basically, there are a lot of isolated people out there in this great land.

This is for the shut-ins.

Basically, this is my 2009 in live music video footage:



(I've shot this video before, but with the fiddle and the banjo added, there was an energy that was present with this show that i hadn't noticed at other shows. Which is why, to film this was an afterthought - but a happy afterthought. They really hammered it!)


(this hands down was one of my highlights of the summer)



(shot for the band, ps... Tegan Quin from Tegan and Sara, produced his new album coming out this year.)

(shot for the band)

(shot for the band)

(a simply beautiful song... love love love)

I decided to post this one, because hands down... it has to be one of my favorite videos I've ever filmed. Brandi seemed so spot on for that song, as if she just channeled the feelings she was feeling when she initially wrote it. I've never been so moved from a singer giving a "performance" as I was for this moment.


(everyone seems to love this one.)

Fences - From Russia With Love
(shot for the band)



-I shot a fair amount of video at other gigs as well that just hasn't made it to the youtube yet, but this pretty much some of my music highlights of the year (all aside from not bringing my camera to Neko Case).

-If you'd like to see more videos from some of the shows, just follow the links.

-My video of Brandi Carlile playing The Story at Mississippi Studios back in March of 07 is still going strong with about 1,182,000 views to date. Still, close to three years later it pops up in blogs all over the world and just last week, was on the nightly news in Seattle.

-My account is kind of in jeopardy at YouTube thanks to some "copy write infringements" over videos that I have of people singing covers of other songs. Most notably, no thanks to Sony. So, basically it's a "three strikes and you're out" policy and I already have two strikes. Meaning, if you are a subscriber to my account (and I have over 400 of them) you might want to stay tuned to where your favorite videos pop up next in the highly likely event that I'll get cancelled. I've got all of the hard copies saved, so losing the actual videos isn't a problem... I'm just not looking forward to losing all my viewers. Sure, I could remove videos and beat Sony to the punch, but all my account really is - is just videos from shows so pretty much everything I've posted, if folks want to be technical, is a copy write infringement. The way I see it is, I'm not making money off of posting videos or anything... I'm not playing it off as if it's my work, I just help share great music with people who can't be there to see it themselves. Hopefully, if folks can listen to music here and find something they like.... they'll be more likely to make it to a show or go out and buy an album (as to sit in front of the computer whenever you wanted to listen to music would get kinda boring and tedious).

-Shameless plug: As well, and as always... I'm available in the Portland area to film your stuff if needed be.

-And, more often than not, if you are a musician and you asked not to be filmed, I'll respect your wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment